In the meantime, here is a list of some of the most common chiropractic questions. Our intent is that you get answers and hope out of our posts!
Frequently Asked Chiropractic Questions (FAQs)
The benefits of chiropractic care are seen everywhere. Although practices like spinal manipulation have been around for a long time, this field is still “young,” which means that patients still have questions regarding how chiropractic treatment works and how it helps us specifically. In this post, you can find the answers to some of the most frequently asked chiropractic care questions.
- What is chiropractic? Chiropractic is a healthcare field that focuses on the body’s spine and joints, as well as their connection to the nervous system. Licensed chiropractors, like our highly trained and experienced Dr. Stuart Kordonowy, utilize a combination of their career studies, medical research, clinical experience, and knowledge of the patient’s body, to provide adjustments that help support the nervous system and joint functions. It is a natural kind of care that helps individuals “help themselves,” by boosting their own immune system and overall health.
- What kind of services do chiropractors offer? At Kordonowy Chiropractic Center, we provide advanced spinal correction and adjustments through the safest and most advanced chiropractic techniques. Dr. Kordonowy also provides posture and spinal screenings. Additionally, he can work with you on a plan for corrective exercises, nutritional counseling, and lifestyle advice, to ensure you can optimize your health and quality of life.
- Will chiropractic treatment “cure” me? Although there is not a “cure all” solution to the problems that our bodies can develop through time, age, and external factors, chiropractic treatment is a great and natural solution that enables your body’s own ability to heal. A thorough consultation and evaluation of your body can be expected the first time you visit a chiropractor, which may include a: case history, physical examination, laboratory analysis, and X-ray examination. This allows your chiropractor to provide the best care for your specific needs. Chiropractors see the whole you, and after some time and treatment (along with other good habits that Dr. Kordonowy can discuss with you), you will feel that your body’s ability to heal improves, and you’ll suffer less than you did before. Chiropractors may also work in conjunction with other healthcare professionals to ensure that all areas of you are treated.
- What is the difference between an adjustment and spinal manipulation? An adjustment is a safe and controlled force that is applied to a joint to restore its range of motion and proper function. Throughout our lives, we are subject to accidents, overexertions, stress, and other factors that can take a toll on the spine and joints. Tissues become affected, then the nervous system, and ultimately the immune system. Adjustments can help you reduce chronic and acute pain as well as increase and restore your body’s performance.
- Are chiropractic adjustments safe? Yes, chiropractic care is a safe, affordable, and effective alternative treatment, according to the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, including for older adults. The American College of Physicians listed spinal manipulative therapy (spinal manipulation) as a main type of treatment for low back pain. As all medical procedures, it carries some inherent risk; however, risk from chiropractic is very low if administered from a properly trained doctor.
- Can I adjust myself? We definitely do not recommend doing so. Chiropractors are licensed professionals that go through very specific education and training, and they provide very specific adjustments. It is not only very difficult to try to adjust oneself, but it is not safe.
- How often is chiropractic care recommended? A specific chiropractic program can take place 3 times/week for a couple weeks to a month. Many of our clients visit us any time from a couple times a month to once a month, or whenever they begin to feel tension/pain, but you can even visit your chiropractor once a year. A regular chiropractic treatment schedule will help you maximize its benefits.
- I have osteoporosis. Can I receive chiropractic care? Yes, but only by a licensed, experienced, and trusted chiropractor. As all medical procedures, it carries some inherent risk; however, risk from chiropractic is very low if administered from a properly trained doctor. Dr. K will provide spinal manipulation, as well as rehab exercises to increase mobility - which will help protect you from falling, which could cause a fracture. A variety of techniques, including soft tissue technique, can help with pain management.
- I am pregnant. Can I receive chiropractic care? Yes, but only by a licensed, experienced, and trusted chiropractor. As all medical procedures, it carries some inherent risk; however, risk from chiropractic is very low if administered from a properly trained doctor. About 50% of women experience back pain during their pregnancy. Regular chiropractic care can aid in pain management and to relieve tension, especially in the back, hips, and joints - which will also help the baby have more space.
- Is chiropractic safe for children? Yes, but only by a licensed, experienced, and trusted chiropractor. As all medical procedures, it carries some inherent risk; however, risk from chiropractic is very low if administered from a properly trained doctor. According to research, most children receive chiropractic services for musculoskeletal problems. However, about 10% go for non-musculoskeletal issues, such as: colic, asthma, enuresis (i.e. involuntary urination, particularly at night), persistent ear infection/inflammation, headaches, and illness prevention. In the 34 years of Dr. K’s practice, hundreds of children have been able to recover from everything, from birth trauma to chronic ear infections. Many pediatric patients are referred by Pediatricians and other specialists.
Let us know how we can serve you during this time. We welcome you to keep your appointments and come enhance your wellness or just have a laugh with Dr. K!
Stay safe, and enjoy time with your friends and family (even if it is on the phone or online)!